“1 in 5 newly qualified drivers will have an
accident within 12 months of being on
the road. 29% of all road accidents involve
new drivers (more young men than women).”
The Pass Plus scheme is aimed at new drivers to help them become better drivers. Over a course of 6 lessons we will help you complete the modules to pass the course.
There are 6 Pass Plus Modules taken over a minimum of 6 lessons.
Your Love Driving School instructor will guide you through the modules and when completed satisfactorily, will apply for your certificate from the DVSA.
Once received, your Pass Plus certificate is written proof that you’ve passed the course. You may then be able to claim a discount on your car insurance policy.
THE MODULES ARE:
1. In town – learn how to cope with town driving by taking expert advice at some of the busiest times of day. This module concentrates on observation, judgement and awareness, eye contact, consideration for vulnerable road users, being cautious but not over cautious, and keeping space around your car.
2. In all weather – snow, fog or heavy rain can stop you driving. Learn how to deal with the weather to reduce the risk of accident. This module is a theory session, but if the opportunity arises we’ll put it into practice. This section covers safe driving in rain, sleet, snow, mist and fog, and bright sunshine. It includes making sure you see and can be seen, deciding what speed to drive at and applying the rules in practice.
3. Out of town – this session looks at the differences between driving in town and country – observing the road ahead, making progress safely, bends, hills and uneven roads, keeping a safe distance from the vehicle ahead, and safe overtaking. Awareness and consideration for pedestrians and horse riders, sharp bends, the use of your horn, farm entrances, slow moving vehicles or animals, and mud on roads.
4. At night – how to read the road at dusk and in the dark. The importance of the correct use of headlights, adjusting to the dark, driving at dusk and dawn, judging speed and distance, the correct use of lights, dealing with dazzle, looking for pedestrians, and being prepared for cyclists.
5. On dual carriageways you need to be extremely aware.
Don’t race, don’t be a slow coach. This practical module takes place on two or three lane carriageways and includes, joining and leaving, including right turns from dual carriageways, effective observation, the use of mirrors, blind spots and scanning the road, judgement and planning, overtaking and lane discipline.
6. On motorways – motorways place greater demands on the driver’s skills, observation, anticipation, planning and concentration. This is a practical session on a motorway nearby. Topics will cover, joining and leaving a motorway, planning a journey in advance, safe speeds in different circumstances, effective observation and anticipation, signs, signals and markings, lane discipline, courtesy to other road users, motorway fatigue – the importance of taking a break, and what to do if you breakdown.
To book Pass Plus call Love Driving School 07855 361640
As the UK’s leading road safety charity, IAM (Institute of Advanced Motorists) are dedicated to increasing skills for all road users, raising driving and riding standards and helping to save lives on our roads. Becoming part of the IAM is a great way to enhance your driving and riding skills in a safe, enjoyable and educational environment.